Ideas

Wednesday, February 6, 2013 by Unknown
Have you ever been so full of ideas that you start dreaming about projects you could actually do, instead of the gigantic project that you're stuck in?

I had a crazy dream last night, where I was conducting an orchestra. It's one of my life's ambitions, yes, but to actually see that in a dream is unimaginably powerful. I woke up humming the bit of music I was conducting, and recorded it with my phone before I forget it.

This isn't the first time something like that has happened to me. I'd seen dreams of me finishing that elusive masterpiece of a painting or some other piece of art. It's like as if my brain's taunting me: look at all the things you are good at, but you can't do because you haven't got the means to.

Then on the other hand, I feel good that my brain reminds me that I'm good at nearly everything I try to do.

Except touch typing.

Anyway, it's great that I'm finally moving on from what seemed to me to have been one of the most uninspiring periods of my life so far.

I've always thought that living in the Maldives was probably the most mind-numbing uninspiring things one can do. After all, how many shades of blue are there anyway? There is only one museum, the contents of which were destroyed, one palace which is out of bounds, and thousands of buildings which reflect nothing but the social stratification of our pitiful little community.

Last night though, I realized that because our culture is so forgotten and inaccessible, people here have to either import inspiration, or have to come up with their own magical version of what they feel.

Originality.

Sitting in my apartment all day long reading documentation on software, today, my bored mind stumbled upon the hidden spring of creativity hidden behind a crate of guilt labelled, "I should be doing something practical to survive, instead of wasting my time risking everything for a dream that may or may not come true".

So this is my day today.
Posted in Labels: | 2 Comments »

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope your dreams come true

Afu Latheef said...

True about the lack of inspiration. That's why we all go over board with politics and stuff - we have nothing else to move us or evoke any passion. There's no real love of culture either- just overzealous and xenophobic nationalism. Sad reality of our times :/